Garfield Wellness Center Grand Opening
The ribbon cutting ceremony took place Thursday November 29, 2012 with students, staff, parents, Garfield Administrators, school officials and community based organizations in attendance.
Students, staff, parents, Garfield Administrators, school officials, community based organizations, City officials came together in support of this historical event at Garfield High School.
Our Bulldog Marching Band led off the celebration with musical entertainment. The cadets of our Army JROTC followed with the presentation of colors and flag salute.
Opening remarks and greetings were given by Lorena Padilla-Melendez, Director, LAUSD FSD-Community Relations and Jose Huerta, Principal, Garfield High School. Mr. Huerta addressed the audience by saying " Together we will promote healthy living and we now have a place for students, their families and the community to have easy access to health and mental health services".
Mistress of ceremonies, Monica Garcia, LAUSD Board President stated "As a daughter of East Los Angeles and a member of the Board of Education, I come to celebrate with you at this ribbon cutting ceremony and to ask parents and community members to continue to partner with us for these wonderful opportunities to assist our students reach 100% graduation rates."
Other speakers present included;
- Danielle Hale, Garfield student
- Rene Gonzalez, Executive Director, Student Health and Human Services LAUSD, *
- Ritchie Geisel, President and Chief Executive Officer, Bienvendios
- Maryjane Puffer, Executive Director LA Trust.
Accolades for this successful event go to:
- Olga Duran, Assistant Principal
- Rosa Marquez, Parent/Community Liaison
- Beatriz Lopez, Healthy Start
- Clavis Ballard, Mariachi Instuctor
- Eloy Adame, Band Director
- Carlos Velez, Plant Manager
- Parent Volunteers, Band Members, Mariachi Members, Choir Members,